Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas in our Neighbourhood

Hello All,

I must confess, though the calendar says it is December 11th, my heart has trouble believing it.  I have been hearing Christmas songs since September, singing them in church since advent started November 28th and singing them with my choir since December 2nd...here is a shot of the Asia Minors, a wonderful women's choir made up of people from all over the world (I am the only Canadian):
But as I walk around, though it is beautiful in our neighbourhood, things just do not seem right.  These are shots from the block or two around our condo - and they answer the age-old Canadian question "how do you decorate a palm tree?"


 
 





The answer is, quite beautifully !

From our window 37 stories up, this is what we see:



Spectacular, but not bringing me any closer to feeling like Christmas.  As I headed into the mall near us, I was greeted by huge Christmas trees both outside and inside (however, you must realize they are fake...no real pine tree to be seen anywhere)
 
In the mall, attempts were made to make it seem more winterly (we think), however not quite sure what white tigers, snow leopards and giant pandas have to do with Christmas?
 

Even the Santa display confused me with two standing Santas and one Santa head in the chimney......

The mall itself was beautifully and tastefully decorated....
 

 

Even Jolly Old Saint Nick was there !
 
 After wandering the mall, hearing the music, seeing Santa Claus, I felt like Christmas was seeping into my heart.  A text from Jeff reminded me that though he was in Hong Kong, he would be back here in five days.  That meant that Sarah and Chris would be here in eight days.  Okay...that really means Christmas is coming and my heart felt lighter.

I got back to our condo, sat down - less "grinchy" but still not quite in the joyful Christmas state of mind and heart I usually am at this time...and then it happened.....the hope and promise of Christmas


A reminder bought in Bolivia, kept in Canada and unwrapped in the Philippines, surrounded by angels that brought hope to Haiti.  The 'good news of great joy for all the people' was right here with me ! 
Christmas is arriving, and my heart truly and deeply believes it!


1 comment:

  1. Hello, Linda: I can relate to your feeling at sixes and sevens with Geoff away for 17 days. Dorothy arrived back here from 11 days in N.S. and that was enough for me. I was luckier than you because I had Sue come for supper every evening but 3 when she had meetings, and twice she brought supper. We have had cold, snowy weather, but no accumulation like London did. Our Christmas choir has three new members this year: Melissa Steinborn and two new ladies with beautiful voices, but only three men: Darryl, Murray and Mike Foo, all bases. I have been remiss in reading both your previous blog and the book on the Phillipines. The book is interesting but hard slugging, and I don't always feel like "slugging" in the evening. In spite of the differences, we wish you all a Merry Christmas.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete