Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Saw the Hands and Feet of God (March 24 update)

Thought I would share about two places I have visited recently in my quest to find what God wants me to do here in Manila (now that most of the waiting for people and things to set up our home is FINALLY done!)


Let me introduce you to Jen Chrystman (who Louise Bell and Faith Holwyn know).  She is a Canadian who has been here since the early '90s.  Currently she works with Dawn for the Poor, an amazing holistic organization.  Click http://www.dawnforthepoor.org/ for their information.  On this day I tagged along as she brought a STM from Waterloo, Iowa (seriously!) through Welfareville (seriously, that is the official name of this neighbourhood)

During this walk, we stopped at a daycare center that is run by Lisa (in this picture).  She has four children of her own, and her husband is the care taker of six different places of ministry for Dawn for the Poor.    The pictures below are of Edna who helps in a livelihood center.  They were bundling up an order fo 300 bookmarks that were heading to Winnipeg, Canada.  If you need any gifts, go to their website!

In this center they also do healthcare, mentoring for home church leaders and much more.  For all our friends who are in the medical field, have a look at their medicine cabinet...that is it for thousands of people.

Oh, and here is the view out the window so that you get an idea of the area. (and I thought you would enjoy the electrical, Bill!)  So many people in so little space.....
I have also gone with our church on Thursdays for Others to a work done by Youth With a Mission called the Balut Project.  Go to their website http://www.ywambalut.org/ to see what wonderful work they are doing. We brought lunch to a daycare in the Smokey Mountain area (given that name because the area is literally dump and always smokey) Here is the daycare center, and some shots of the neighbourhood around it.

As soon as we arrived, the kids started coming with plate in hand - a few had a spoon too.  We sang songs with them, and then dished out the pasta soup and juice and cookies.  The little ones had mothers with them, and as you will see in these picture, these moms care deeply for their children.  I think I will let these pictures speak for themselves....


After the meal, they all headed back to their homes....down these streets.....
Yes, my heart has been broken again by what God has revealed to me in these two places...I know there are countless pockets like this in Manila.  And yes, the words of God through Micah 6:8, James 2:14-16, Matthew 25:31-40 (plus many others) is calling me.  Pray that I will hear God clearly when he starts to reveal where he want me to serve and how.  I will keep you up on the journey my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hi to both of you. I just read this blog and the one from Hong Kong. God sent you to Asia for something, I'm sure, and as you play, you are learning, as you get interested in the various missions, there will be something say to you, "This is what I sent you here for" or it won't. I envy you with all the green of the Irish blessing email I sent you. Be careful, and be blessed.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete